It’s summertime and the living is easy! The sunny season and Florida are synonymous. They go hand-in-hand; like boats to water, or sun and sand. That must be why Florida was dubbed the Sunshine State. But here on Sanibel and Captiva Islands, we offer every kind of summertime fun that you could imagine! If it happens near a beach, or on the water, Sanibel and Captiva Islands have it! When you think of Florida – you think sunshine: beaches, childhood vacations; shelling by the shore; fishing, boating, and dolphin excursions, feeling the soft ocean breeze on your face; and refreshingly cool swims.
We practically invented summertime fun here on Sanibel and Captiva Islands! That well-earned reputation makes us the undisputed experts, with plenty of recommendations for all things fun in the sun. After all, we are known for our beautiful beaches and as the Seashell Capital of the World for a reason!
Whether you’re soaking up the sun, relaxing to the max or unwinding with some much-needed retail therapy, we have everything you need for your vacation mode to be activated. So, sit back, relax and enjoy your summer!
Sanibel Fly Outfitters
Sanibel Fly Outfitters provides fly fishers of all levels a dedicated space on Sanibel for all things fly fishing. The locally owned & operated outfitter has SWFL’s LARGEST selection of Simms & Orvis clothing for both men & women, over 20 brands of top fly rods & reels, more than 300 fly patterns (including locally tied), rental rods, guided trips, free casting lessons & most importantly… local knowledge! Be sure to make Sanibel Fly Outfitters a ‘must do’ when on Island!
- If you enjoy fly fishing, or would like to get started, we’ve got the finest Orvis, Sage, Hardy, Ross, Nautilus, Lamson-Waterworks, Temple Fork, Cheeky, Shimano, Hatch, Bauer, Shilton & Allen reels, with locally tied flies tied by our guide staff and a great selection of fly lines from Royal Wulff, Air Flow & Rio
- The Sanibel Fly Outfitter store includes a great selection of fly rods they guarantee you’ll appreciate. The pros at SFO have tested the waters and are pleased to offer reliable brands such as Orvis, Sage, Hardy, RL Winston, G Loomis, Allen, Lamson-Waterworks, Temple Fork & more. And, if there’s a rod you’re looking for that we don’t have, don’t hesitate to ask!
- Their selection of fly gear includes, but is not limited to: tapered leader, tippet, flies, stripping baskets, fly boxes (waterproof), sling packs, wading shoes, fly-tying kits, men’s & women’s clothing & more! And, if they don’t have something you’re looking for, they’ll order it for you! Just ask a friendly member of their Sanibel fly crew!
- Not sure how to fly fish? They’ll teach you! Whitney and his team of enthusiastic experts can be found, on any given day, giving FREE lessons to anyone who will listen. The open field across from the fly shop provides the perfect space to put your skills to the test on casting a fly line & mending it to ensure your line and fly float the right way for the fish you’re looking to snag. They will also teach you how to tie a fly around the table in the fly shop. Lessons from local fly-fishing celebrities like Pete Squibb with his renowned ‘Squibbster’ and ‘Squgly’ flies are given one-on-one and in group settings at Fly Fishing Club events.
- For those who need more than just a lesson, Whitney’s offers guided charters for groups up to two people looking to get out on the water for an intimate fly fishing experience. A half, partial or full day charter for back bay and near-shore fishing is the ultimate way to experience what people have been drawn to since Sanibel was inhabited in the 1800’s.
- Join the dedicated group of active flyfisher men and women, fishing guides, fly shop owners, and others who are on water in Southwest Florida almost every day. “THE” Fly Fishing Club of Sanibel Island was founded in 2001 to promote fly fishing and conservation of local fishing resources through education, advocacy, community, and select grants to like-minded organizations. They are a charter club of Fly Fishers International (FFI). Many members of the Sanibel Fly Fishers can be found working or socializing at the fly shop on any given day. The club meets monthly for workshops and networking with the ultimate goal of helping to create the next generation of the keepers of our natural environment.
A Little Adventure
Want to find all the luxe kid swag, those delightful clothes and toys for kids, all in one convenient place, for a great price? A Little Adventure children’s boutique has it all. Leslie Meeks, a captivated reviewer and mom of twins, submits that the store has the most wonderful kids’ clothes and quality children’s items, and is filled with many unique novelties and toys. That’s a glowing endorsement for such a new store on Sanibel! Just opened on April 1st in the Tahitian Gardens Shopping Center, it is a children’s outfitter “defined by different, and shaped by the islands.”
Recently added were laid-back tropical-print polos, so take a little of the charming Sanibel vibe home with you. Adorable, vintage baseball tees and complementary-colored baseball caps, girls’ flowery rompers with adjustable-tie straps to provide good fit: most all are available in sizes 2-14; so are glamorous-yet-washable sneakers in fashion colors. The ultra soft-cotton blend dresses for her and the delightfully-colored dressy polos for him are easy to wear for any occasion, from beach to school and from day to night.
Wow, dad’s wallet is in for it; just kidding, because the prices here are great! You can get as much as you want! Patagonia, designer of “hip clothes for the silent sports”: like hiking, climbing, etc. is available here for kids. Backpacks for back-to-school, in every imaginable pretty or cool design and fashionable color, are here. Active polos and shorts, with state-of-the-art tech-fabric known for moisture-wicking and sun protection, and identical to those offered in their grown-up store, Adventures in Paradise Outfitters, are on hand. Now you can take the island life home. Vacation vibes, all day!